Thursday, December 21, 2017

Thursday Movie Picks - 2018 Movies I'm Looking Forward To

Written as part of the weekly blogathon hosted by Wandering Through the Shelves. It's easy and fun to play along - just pick three movies that fit the week's theme and write a little something about them!

So.... you've all seen the trailer for Ocean's 8, right? It looks FLAMAZING, right?!?

Well, it's not one of my picks this week, but only because I figure lots of other people will pick it, and also because I would trust this one more if Soderbergh were directing.

ANYWAY, in addition to Ocean's 8 and Ready Player One (which I mentioned a few weeks back), these are probably my most anticipated movies opening next year.

Annihilation (Alex Garland) I mean, as if the next feature from the director of Ex Machina wasn't already gonna be near the top of my Must See list, this one is based on by what is by all accounts a pretty good book, has an outrageously amazing cast, and some really cool-looking special effects. And if all THAT wasn't enough, this trailer promises some shirtless Oscar Isaac. I am SO. THERE.

Death of Stalin (Armando Iannucci) Cruelly held back from American release until March 2018, this political satire is chock full of brilliant actors, but really, the star here is genius satirist Armando Iannucci. After In The LoopThe Thick of It, and Veep, I will follow him wherever he goes. Even if it may hit too close to home (hey, at this point, America will probably be a Russian outpost by 2018).

Widows (Steve McQueen) McQueen is kind of hit-or-miss with me, but.... THIS CAST. Academy Award Winner Viola Davis, Tony Award Winner Cynthia Erivo, Elizabeth Debicki, Michelle Rodriguez, Jacki Weaver, Carrie Coon, Liam Neeson, Colin Farrell, AndrĂ© Holland, Daniel Kaluuya, Robert Duvall, Jon Bernthal... what more could you ask for? How about a screenplay written by Gone Girl author Gillian Flynn, based off an 80s British TV series written by crime writer Lynda La Plante, about the widows of three criminals who conspire to recreate their husbands' last failed heist! I've been in the tank for this one practically since it was announced.

6 comments:

  1. I really want to see Annihilation and Death of Stalin as well! I almost put Annihilation on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first two sound okay but Widows is the one that I think I'm most anxious too see.

    Ugh I'm so far out of the loop on what's coming, this has not been a good year and keeping up on anything has been tough but I did manage to scrounge up three, including Oceans 8, by including one that hasn't hit wide release yet but has been shown at festivals.

    Oceans 8-Femimine reworking of the fun Brad Pitt/George Clooney heist flick Oceans 11 (though why they couldn’t find 3 more famous women to make up the original number is troubling) itself a reworking of the Rat Pack original. As long as it keeps that sense of humor this should be a jolly time at the movies with hopefully a smooth tie-in of Matt Damon’s character from the other film.

    Mary Poppins Returns-The magical nanny returns to help the children of the now grown children she cared for in the original classic. Apparently great care has been taken to protect the memory of the first with an amazing cast, including in some capacity Dick Van Dyke & Angela Lansbury (yeah). It will be tough to capture the special whimsy of the first but it will be interesting to see the attempt.

    Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story-In festival showing this documentary about the legendary movie star beauty who was sharp as a whip and an avid inventor (responsible for much of the basis of what is modern day internet technology) but whom was not taken seriously because of that same ravishing exterior has been acclaimed. She considered her beauty a cage from which she couldn’t escape and when faced with narrow minded comments about the improbability that a woman who looked as she did could also have a strong mind she replied “If I am a ‘new Hedy’ as some say, it is because they are seeing me as I really am, not looking at the outside of me.” Scheduled for a theatrical release early in 2018 this sounds fascinating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. These all sound like very interesting movies, especially Widows. Then again, I am a McQueen fan so I guess I'm biased.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I didn't love Ex Machina but Annihilation looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I loved Ex Machina. And I loved Vandemeer's Southern Reach novels. A lot. In seeing the Annihilation trailer, it looks a bit extra in terms of action, where the novel was more subdued. Not sure what to think about that, but I'll be there opening weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  6. All 3 sound quite good especially the one bout Stalin. I hope I can find the time to do the last one for this year as I was so busy with Christmas that my blogging took a hit

    ReplyDelete